February 19, 2008

Weekly Architecture Film, Part 5, Fritz Lang.

Born 1890 in Vienna, Austria, Fritz Lang studied civil engineer at the Vienna University of Technology and art at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. In 1914 Fritz Lang moved to Munich and later to Berlin. He soon started to work as a director at the German film studio Ufa. The abolition of public censorship in the Weimar Republic had created a highly inventive period for the German film: He created films like Dr. Mabuse, Der Spieler (Dr. Mabuse the Gambler), Die Nibelungen, the masterpiece Metropolis and M, Fritz Lang's first "talking" picture.
In 1933, after the Nazis came into power, Fritz Lang emigrated to the US and joined the MGM studios. He died, almost blind, in 1976, in Beverly Hills.
His last appearance was in the 1964 film Le Mépris, by Jean-Luc Godard, where Fitz Lang played himself – a film director.